RFR (M): 8212657: Implementation of JDK-8204089 Timely Reduce Unused Committed Memory

Sunny Chan, CLSA sunny.chan at clsa.com
Wed Nov 14 06:48:42 UTC 2018

In general if someone set -Xmx and -Xms to the same value we generally won't want the GC to release memory back to the operating system as we actually need this for some reason (e.g. low latency). Can we disable the periodic GC if someone set -Xmx and -Xms to the same value? Also if someone use "-XX:+AlwaysPreTouch" in general they would be sensitive to the os page allocation latency, and we should consider whether should be candidate for this memory utilization optimization when the option is used.

Sunny Chan
Senior Lead Engineer, Executive Services
D  +852 2600 8907  |  M  +852 6386 1835  |  T  +852 2600 8888
5/F, One Island East, 18 Westlands Road, Island East, Hong Kong

[:1. Social Media Icons:CLSA_Social Media Icons_linkedin.png]<https://hk.linkedin.com/company/clsa>[:1. Social Media Icons:CLSA_Social Media Icons_twitter.png]<https://twitter.com/clsainsights?lang=en>[:1. Social Media Icons:CLSA_Social Media Icons_youtube.png]<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0qWp_lLnOcRYmBlCNQgZKA>[:1. Social Media Icons:CLSA_Social Media Icons_facebook.png]<https://www.facebook.com/clsacommunity/>

clsa.com<https://www.clsa.com/>
Insights. Liquidity. Capital.

[CLSA_RGB]<https://www.clsa.com/member>

A CITIC Securities Company

The content of this communication is intended for the recipient and is subject to CLSA Legal and Regulatory Notices.
These can be viewed at https://www.clsa.com/disclaimer.html or sent to you upon request.
Please consider before printing. CLSA is ISO14001 certified and committed to reducing its impact on the environment.