Call for reviews: JEP 189: Shenandoah: A Low-Pause Garbage Collector

Per Liden per.liden at oracle.com
Wed Nov 28 10:12:38 UTC 2018

Hi Roman,

Under "Non-Goals" the JEP says:

"The GC pause time is bounded by the time required to scan all of the
thread stacks[...]"

This is not quite true, is it? I'd say the theoretical worst cases pause
in Shenandoah is still bound by the live-set and heap size.

I can think of a few scenarios:

1) Reference processing is still done in a pause, but the theoretical
worst case scenario for reference processing is bound by the live-set
size. For example, marking of FinalReference objects during reference
processing can in the worst case require marking the whole live-set (and
in non-worst cases a substantial part of the live-set).

2) Weak root cleaning (e.g. StringTable/JNIGlobalRefs) is still done in
a pause, but this has a theoretical worst case scenario of being bound
by the heap size. For example, every object on the heap is a String
which has been interned, so the time to scan/clean the StringTable will
be bound by the heap size.

cheers,
Per