RFR: 8211718: Supporting multiple concurrent OopStorage iterators

Erik Österlund erik.osterlund at oracle.com
Thu Oct 4 13:53:40 UTC 2018

Hi,

OopStorage has an artificial restriction of having only one concurrent
iterator at a time. This restriction should be removed.

The solution is to turn the bool that tracks concurrent iterations, into
an int.

For some background, the reason for the restriction has historic
reasons, from a time when opening OopStorage for concurrent iteration
was done using a lock-free protocol between GC worker threads, which
made it tricky. Since then, the model was simplified to just let the
ParState RAII object open and close the concurrent iterations. With the
simplified model, there is no need for such a restriction.

I talked to Kim, and long-term there are more plans in this area, such
as removing weak_oops_do, and then unifying the iterators. But for now,
I would like to just stop disallowing multiple concurrent iterations as
one small step along the way.

I updated the relevant OopStorage documentation to reflect the removal
of this restriction.

Webrev:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~eosterlund/8211718/webrev.00/

Bug: