RFR(XS): JDK-8212122: Allow ReferenceProcessor to always be MT processing

Roman Kennke rkennke at redhat.com
Sat Oct 13 09:35:09 UTC 2018

Hi Kim,

>> On Oct 12, 2018, at 10:56 AM, Roman Kennke <rkennke at redhat.com> wrote:
>> (If it was me, I'd rework this whole execution scheme to always call the
>> MT config, and let RP figure out and execute directly in VMThread if
>> it's only 1 worker, and not put this burden on the caller to set up both
>> for 1-threaded and N-threaded execution. This is just an ugly mess.)
>
> The ugliness here is, I think, largely a result of ParallelGC having it’s very
> own parallelization framework.  There’s an RFE to make it use WorkGangs:

Yes, that may be true.

> Personally, I’d like to see that get worked on rather than piling on more
> cruft to work around that problem.

Right. But the tiny patch can hardly be called 'piling on more cruft'. I
may be willing to work on the above mentioned issue, but currently I
cannot afford it. I'd like to get Shenandoah into JDK12, and can't
afford to sidetrack myself with rewriting the interaction between
ReferenceProcessor, ParallelGC and CMS. Would you agree to the proposed
change for now? As I said, I might pick up the above mentioned bug later
(feel free to assign it to me so that it doesn't get lost).

Thanks,
Roman