RFR: bug: Timely Reducing Unused Committed Memory

Rodrigo Bruno rbruno at gsd.inesc-id.pt
Fri Sep 7 15:37:54 UTC 2018

Hi Per and Thomas,

thank you for your comments.

I think it is possible to implement this feature using the service thread
or using a separate thread.
I see some pros and cons of having a separate thread:

Pros:
- using the service thread exposes something that is G1 specific to the
rest of the JVM.
Thus, using a separate thread, hides this feature from the outsite.

Cons:
- Having a manageable timeout is a bit more tricky to implement in a
separate/dedicated thread.
We need to be able to handle switch on and off. It might require some
variable pooling.
- It requires some more memory.

Regardless of the path taken, I can prepare a new version of the patch
whenever we decide on this.

cheers,
rodrigo

Per Liden <per.liden at oracle.com> escreveu no dia sexta, 7/09/2018 à(s)