RFR: 8229839: Break circular dependency between oop.inline.hpp and markWord.inline.hpp

Stefan Karlsson stefan.karlsson at oracle.com
Mon Aug 19 14:11:31 UTC 2019

Hi all,

Please review this patch to break the circular dependency between
oop.inline.hpp and markWord.inline.hpp.

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~stefank/8229839/webrev.01/

The patch removes the call to oopDesc::klass() from markWord.inline.hpp.
This is done by passing in the klass from callers to the different
markWord::must_be_preserved functions.

Some of the paths inside markWord::must_be:preserved don't need the
klass, and calling oopDesc::klass() in those cases would be wasteful. To
prevent this, I changed the code to allow the callers to provide a
KlassProxy that can resolve to a const Klass* when and if a Klass is
needed. I'm not sure if this is needed or not, but I didn't want to
pessimise the code by introducing new calls to oopDesc::klass().

I also took the opportunity to consolidate and remove some code
duplication in must_be_preserved functions. This could of course be
split into a separate patch if that's requested.

Testing done locally. Will run tier123.

Thanks,
StefanK