RFR: 8234974: Shenandoah: Do concurrent roots even when no evacuation is necessary

Roman Kennke rkennke at redhat.com
Wed Dec 11 22:12:44 UTC 2019

After discussing off-line with Zhengyu, I am proposing those changes:

- Reinstate returning object for GC threads (apparently needed b/c of
bug in JVMTI)
- Always heal nmethods in barrier. We can only get there during evac
(see below)
- ShenandoahEvacUpdateOopStorageRootsClosure renamed to
ShenandoahEvacUpdateCleanupRootsClosure and let it also handle cleanup.
- Changed order of cleanup and unload: first do cleanup, then do unload.
- only call prepare_unloading() when we have a cset. This arms nmethods.
We only ever want to get into nmethod-barriers when we have a cset/are
doing evacuation.

Incremental:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~rkennke/JDK-8234974/webrev.01.diff/
Full: