RFR (M): 8218880: G1 crashes when issuing a periodic GC while the GCLocker is held

Kim Barrett kim.barrett at oracle.com
Wed Feb 27 22:19:35 UTC 2019

> On Feb 27, 2019, at 4:29 AM, Thomas Schatzl <thomas.schatzl at oracle.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
>  can I have reviews for this change that fixes execution of periodic
> GCs in G1?
>
> In the current implementation, if periodic GC is triggered when the gc
> locker is held, the VM crashes because the GC locker is supposed to be
> only held by Java threads - but the periodic GCs are triggered by some
> GC thread.
>
> The fix is to ignore the periodic GC request if the GC locker is held -
> after all this means that the application is active anyway, and a GC
> will be triggered anyway as soon as the critical section ends.
>
> To make it clear to end users that the periodic GC has been cancelled
> due to that reason, the change prints a cancellation reason too if
> appropriate logging is enabled.
>
> The change itself is pretty small, it's just the test that's a bit
> longer but straightforward.
>
> I will backport this to 12u later.
>
> CR:
> Webrev:
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~tschatzl/8218880/webrev/
> Testing:
> New test case, hs-tier1-5
>
> Thanks,
>  Thomas

I think I would prefer "try_collect" rather than "attempt_collect".

At first I was thinking this seems very specific to the particular bug
at hand, and there is a need for something more general. But I've
decided I'm okay with this change as is, and leaving generalization to
the still-in-progress work on improving the whitebox control mechanism.

So other than the possible name change, looks good.