RFR(XXS) 8217522: Missing barriers in some java_lang_String assertion code after JDK-8213229

Claes Redestad claes.redestad at oracle.com
Tue Jan 22 22:52:30 UTC 2019

On 2019-01-22 22:00, Zhengyu Gu wrote:
>> Ah, dang. I suggested oopDesc::equals_raw to Claes, hoping that would
>> be enough. Yes, stronger
>> oopDesc::equals is preferred. It is mildly irritating those can be
>> different copies of the object,
>> though, but it is safe because we are only reading from them.
>
> I noticed that, his final patch does not have oopDesc::equals_raw ...

There was a version of that patch out for review - based on suggestions
from David Holmes - which we ended up backing away from. The pushed
patch uses oopDesc::equals_raw in a few assertions:
http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk/jdk/rev/bc2bb4eee477

Changing these to oopDesc::equals sounds OK to me.

/Claes