RFR(XL): 8220310: Implementation: NUMA-Aware Memory Allocation for G1, Mutator (1/3)

Stefan Johansson stefan.johansson at oracle.com
Mon Oct 7 08:58:04 UTC 2019

On 2019-10-07 10:45, Thomas Schatzl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 07.10.19 10:25, Stefan Johansson wrote:
>> Hi Thomas and Sangheon,
>>
>> I have one comment on Thomas comments =)
>>
>> On 2019-10-04 14:11, Thomas Schatzl wrote:
>>> Hi Sangheon,
> [...]
>>>
>>> I.e. we eventually end up with the actual node index reported by the
>>> OS in HeapRegion::_node_index.
>>>

>> I like the idea of being able to get the correct node index from
>> HeapRegion, but I have two concerns about the above idea. First, this
>> will cause us to do a syscall while holding the lock to get a new
>> region. This might not be a big deal, but I would prefer to do this
> I am not completely into the actual code flow right now, but I do not
> think there is a need to get the node index in this code path from the
> HeapRegion. Maybe when allocating from the free list later?

Allocating from the free list is also under the lock, but I think we are
on the same page, just asking for the hr->node_index() should not cause
a syscall.

>> update during a safepoint. The second thing is that if pages get
>
> Fine with me too to piggyback it on some existing region iteration to be
> 100% sure.
Yes, that should make the cost fairly low.

>> migrated by the OS we would not see this if we only request the actual
>> node index one time.
>
> This is what the logging/verification is for I guess at this time. If
> the migration is significant, we need to handle this and update the node
> index - but I think we can do this node index update as RFE.

Yes, I have no idea if migration is a real problem, so separate RFE is ok.

> Above update of the actual node index values during safepoint could also
> "always" do the summary logging then (with gc+numa=debug or something)
> if NUMA is enabled.
Sounds reasonable.

Thanks,
Stefan