RFR (M): 8207266: ThreadMXBean::getThreadAllocatedBytes() can be quicker for self thread

Hohensee, Paul hohensee at amazon.com
Fri Sep 13 00:29:49 UTC 2019

Thanks for clarifying the review rules. Would someone from the serviceability team please review? New webrev at

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~phh/8207266/webrev.07/

I didn’t disturb the existing checks in the test, just added code to check the result of getThreadAllocatedBytes(long) on a non-current thread, plus the back-to-back no-allocation checks. The former wasn’t needed before because getThreadAllocatedBytes(long) was just a wrapper around getThreadAllocatedBytes(long []). This patch changes that, so I added a separate test. The latter is supposed to fail if there’s object allocation on calls to getCurrentThreadAllocatedBytes and getThreadAllocatedBytes(long). I.e., a feature, not a bug, because accumulation of transient small objects can be a performance problem. Thanks to your review, I noticed that the back-to-back check on the current thread was using getThreadAllocatedBytes(long) instead of getCurrentThreadAllocatedBytes and fixed it. I also removed all instances of “TEST FAILED: “.

Paul