preform GC modifications

Ofir Gordon ofirg6 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 10:17:42 UTC 2020

Hello,

I'm trying to investigate the performance of different garbage collectors,
as part of a project I'm working on,
and as part of the project I need to preform modifications in the existing
GCs (working with openjdk8 hotspot).
I tried to start with a simple task and figure out where in the code the
call for the GC happens? I couldn't figure this out.

Also, I'm currently want to try only to run simple serial Mark&Sweep GC -
can someone please help me understand:
1. how do I specify it when running the java program? (if I specify
-XX:+UseSerialGC is that enough? what type of GC is running for this flag?)
2. is there a way to produce logs in which I can see that it is actually
working (more info than just when a GC is activated)
3. most important - which class/methods in the source code are relevant for
that simple collector (basically I'm trying to understand which method
handles the marking phase and where is it being called)? I need this to try
modify some code and see that it is actually working.

I know that's a lot of questions, if someone can give me a hint on how to
start I will be very grateful.

Thanks,
Ofir