RFR(L): 8215624: add parallel heap inspection support for jmap histo(G1)(Internet mail)

linzang(臧琳) linzang at tencent.com
Wed Apr 22 09:28:05 UTC 2020

Dear Stefan,

        Thanks a lot! I agree with you to decouple the heap inspection code with GC's.
        I will start  from your POC code, may discuss with you later.

BRs,
Lin

On 2020/4/22, 5:14 PM, "Stefan Karlsson" <stefan.karlsson at oracle.com> wrote:

    Hi Lin,

    I took a look at this earlier and saw that the heap inspection code is
    strongly coupled with the CollectedHeap and G1CollectedHeap. I'd prefer
    if we'd abstract this away, so that the GCs only provide a "parallel
    object iteration" interface, and the heap inspection code is kept elsewhere.

    I started experimenting with doing that, but other higher-priority (to
    me) tasks have had to take precedence.

    I've uploaded my work-in-progress / proof-of-concept:
      https://cr.openjdk.java.net/~stefank/8215624/webrev.01.delta/
      https://cr.openjdk.java.net/~stefank/8215624/webrev.01/

    The current code doesn't handle the lifecycle (deletion) of the
    ParallelObjectIterators. There's also code left unimplemented in around
    CollectedHeap::run_task. However, I think this could work as a basis to
    pull out the heap inspection code out of the GCs.

    Thanks,
    StefanK