Re: RFR: 8236073: G1: Use SoftMaxHeapSize to guide GC heuristics

Liang Mao maoliang.ml at alibaba-inc.com
Tue Feb 18 07:27:38 UTC 2020

Hi Stefan,

Thank you for your comments!

Based on previous discussion, the reasons are as below:
1) For the expansion after cm, I think we have the agreement that
original MinHeapFreeRatio might be too large and predicting the necessary
size from adaptive IHOP for expansion sounds reasonable and specjbb2015
have the good result.
2) About when to shrink the heap, I think it's a better spot after
 mixed collections. From my observation, the heap use is still at nearly
peak after remark for most of cases like Alibaba workloads and specjbb2015.
There could be some senario which contains a lot of humongous regions that
remark will cleanup considerable regions. But why don't we decide to shrink
the heap size when most of garbages have been cleaned after mixed GCs. We
don't need to shrink twice in an old gc cycle. The MaxHeapFreeRatio 70 to
keep heap capacity with 30% live objects make sence and is unified with full
 gc logic. If we only shrink the heap at remark, the maximum desired capacity
could be 100/30 times of peak heap usage which is obviously not efficient.

Thanks,
Liang