[aarch64-port-dev ] [RFC] ZGC proposal for aarch64 jdk11u

Yangfei (Felix) felix.yang at huawei.com
Thu Jan 16 06:42:29 UTC 2020

Hi,

> On 1/15/20 1:10 PM, Stuart Monteith wrote:
> >      I'm pleased that there is interest in ZGC on aarch64, that the
> > performance is at expected levels and is apparently trouble free.
> > However, I'd like to understand why this backporting is being done. If
> > it is for running in production, then I'd expect Per, etc, to not be
> > upset or disagree when I that ZGC on aarch64 in JDK 13 isn't
> > production ready.
>
> In particular, it's perhaps odd that something which is still an experimental
> feature in mainline is being considered for a backport.

So long as zgc in jdk11 is continually maintained by the community, it may not be a bad idea
to enable it on one more arch provided that the risk is acceptable after code review.  Otherwise, we are on our own.
Users are much conservative when it comes to migrating to a new jdk version.  Also they have their own decision about which GC policy to use.

Thanks,
Felix