RFR (S) 8249140: fail to build hotspot with gcc-4.8.5(Internet mail)

Kim Barrett kim.barrett at oracle.com
Thu Jul 9 15:34:18 UTC 2020

> On Jul 9, 2020, at 9:48 AM, linzang(臧琳) <linzang at tencent.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Kim,
>     I am OK with not making this change if the gcc version is old and and very shotly and buggy. It happened to me that my linux box use this version of gcc.
>     Just curious about what is the minimal acceptable version of gcc for building hotspot, maybe gcc version later than 6?

Sounds like your linux box could perhaps use an update.

Oracle currently builds and tests the development head with gcc 9.2. I
would not be surprised to see a switch to 10.x sometime relatively soon.

The minimum version supported by the JDK build system is gcc 5.0 (see
make/autoconf/toolchain.m4), though I don't know of anyone regularly
testing and reporting on anything that old (see
https://wiki.openjdk.java.net/display/Build/Supported+Build+Platforms).
(I think configure warns but tries to continue with older versions.)

JEP 347 changes the -std argument from -std=gnu++98 to -std=c++14,
which I think is not supported or accepted by anything older than gcc 5.0.

>     I will close the issue with not fix. Thanks!

Thanks.