RFR (M): 8245721: Refactor the TaskTerminator

Thomas Schatzl thomas.schatzl at oracle.com
Wed Jun 24 08:03:20 UTC 2020

Hi all,

   can I have reviews for this refactoring of the (OWST) TaskTerminator
to make the algorithm more understandable.

The original implementation imho suffers from two issues:

- manual lock() and unlock() of the _blocker synchronization lock
everywhere, distributed around two separate methods.

- interspersing the actual spinning code somewhere inlined inbetween.

This change tries to hopefully successfully make reasoning about the
code *much* easier by different separation of these two methods, and
using scoped locks.

The final structure of the code has been intensively tested to not cause
a regression in performance, however it made a few "obvious" further
refactorings undesired due to signficant perf regressions.

I believe I found a good tradeoff here, but I am of course open to
improvements :) I tried to sketch a few of those ultimately unsuccessful
attempts in the CR.

CR:
Webrev:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~tschatzl/8245721/webrev/
Testing:
tier1-5, many many perf rounds, many tier1-X rounds with other patches