RFR: 8254877: GCLogPrecious::_lock rank constrains what locks you are allowed to have when crashing [v4]

Stefan Karlsson stefank at openjdk.java.net
Tue Nov 24 12:16:21 UTC 2020

> This is an alternative version of the fix proposed in 900:
> https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/pull/900
>
> Erik's description:
>> Today, when you crash, the GCLogPrecious::_lock is taken. This effectively limits you to only get clean crash reports if you crash or assert without holding a lock of rank tty or lower. It is arguably difficult to know what locks you are going to have when crashing. Therefore, I don't think the precious GC log should constrain possible crashing contexts in that fashion.
>
> As Erik mentioned in that PR, I'd like to retain the ability to easily dump the precious log when debugging. The proposed fix changes the Mutex to a Semaphore, and use trywait to safely access the buffer. In the unlikely event that another thread is holding the lock, the hs_err printer skips printing the log.
>
> This also makes it possible to call precious logging from within the stack watermark processing code. I think there's a possibility that we might call the following error logging, when we fail to commit memory for a ZPage, when relocating, during stack watermark processing:
> `log_error_p(gc)("Failed to commit memory (%s)", err.to_string());`

Stefan Karlsson has updated the pull request with a new target base due to a merge or a rebase. The incremental webrev excludes the unrelated changes brought in by the merge/rebase. The pull request contains five additional commits since the last revision:

 - Merge branch '8254877_gclogprecious_locks_rebased' into 8254877_gclogprecious_locks
 - 8254877: GCLogPrecious::_lock rank constrains what locks you are allowed to have when crashing
 - Review 2
 - Review 1
 - 8254877: GCLogPrecious::_lock rank constrains what locks you are allowed to have when crashing

Changes:
  - new: https://git.openjdk.java.net/jdk/pull/903/files/63a9473a..9888692b

Webrevs:
 - full: https://webrevs.openjdk.java.net/?repo=jdk&pr=903&range=03
 - incr: https://webrevs.openjdk.java.net/?repo=jdk&pr=903&range=02-03

  Stats: 314705 lines in 2747 files changed: 193793 ins; 93153 del; 27759 mod
  Fetch: git fetch https://git.openjdk.java.net/jdk pull/903/head:pull/903