RFR: 8265450: Merge PreservedMarksSet::restore code paths

Thomas Schatzl tschatzl at openjdk.java.net
Tue Apr 20 08:46:23 UTC 2021

Hi all,

  can I have reviews for this refactoring  that merges parallel and serial preserved marks restoration during evacuation failure into a single code path, simply by having the serial path call the parallel path in the VM thread.

This just reduces code and avoids the potential bugs when updating one path but not the other (which already happened).

The execution difference should not really matter for Serial GC where the serial path is executed:
- we are talking about the evacuation failure path
- there are likely a lot of preserved marks (random writes to the heap) that offset these two additional calls and some tiny superfluous member initialization.

Testing: tier1

Commit messages:
 - Changes
 - Fix compilation