RFR: 8260267: ZGC: Reduce mark stack usage [v2]

Per Liden pliden at openjdk.java.net
Mon Apr 26 13:25:45 UTC 2021

> Under some conditions, striped marking can cause excessive mark stack memory usage. For example, when the object graph has one or more N:1 relations ships, where N is a large number.
>
> To avoid pushing mark stack entries to already marked objects, and thus reduce mark stack memory usage, this patch adds does two things:
>  * GC threads will under some conditions mark the object before pushing, else (if the condition to mark failed)
>  * GC threads will check if the object is already marked before pushing.
>
> The conditions for marking before pushing is:
>  * We are using a single stripe, in which cases striped marking is essentially disabled anyway.
>  * We see excessive mark stack usage. In other words, the mark stack allocator indicates "high usage".
>
> To make this easier to review, this PR contains two commits:
>  * `ZGC: Reduce mark stack usage` - This patch adds the infrastructure needed to mark before push, but only does so if we are using a single stripe.
>  * `ZGC: Mark before push if mark stack usage is high` - This patch adds the condition to mark before push if the mark stack allocator indicates "high usage". As a bonus, this patch will also uncommit memory used for mark stacks after the marking has completed.
>
> Testing:
>  * Tier1-7
>  * SPECjbb2015, score and marking times unaffected
>  * casparcwang at tencent.com reports that this patch, in combination with PR #3455, solves the problem for Apache Zookeeper.

Per Liden has updated the pull request with a new target base due to a merge or a rebase. The pull request now contains three commits:

 - Merge master
 - ZGC: Mark before push if mark stack usage is high
 - ZGC: Reduce mark stack usage

 Webrev: https://webrevs.openjdk.java.net/?repo=jdk&pr=3460&range=01
  Stats: 283 lines in 19 files changed: 192 ins; 41 del; 50 mod
  Fetch: git fetch https://git.openjdk.java.net/jdk pull/3460/head:pull/3460