Status of JEP-8204088/JDK-8236073

Ruslan Synytsky rs at jelastic.com
Wed Jul 28 20:06:50 UTC 2021

Hi Man, thank you for your feedback. It is clear and highly appreciated. I
love the SoftMaxHeapSize idea and the use cases it serves. It's a great
step forward. Now we can learn, improve, fix and get it better every new
release. At the same time, should we really compare CurrentMaxHeapSize (or
HardMaxHeapSize) vs SoftMaxHeapSize and try to replace one by another?
There are different use cases. One of them just got my attention recently -
restoring JVM runtimes from previosuly saved state
https://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/discuss/2021-July/005890.html. Can
we start from an experimental option for G1 or something that will unlock
us to put more effort behind it?
Thanks
--
Ruslan Synytsky