RFR: 8261859: gc/g1/TestStringDeduplicationTableRehash.java failed with "RuntimeException: 'Rehash Count: 0' found in stdout" [v2]

Kim Barrett kbarrett at openjdk.java.net
Mon Mar 1 17:18:57 UTC 2021

On Mon, 1 Mar 2021 13:46:26 GMT, Albert Mingkun Yang <ayang at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> src/hotspot/share/gc/shared/stringdedup/stringDedupTable.cpp line 424:
>>
>>> 422:   assert(size <= _max_size, "invariant: %zu", size);
>>> 423:   assert(size >= _min_size, "invariant: %zu", size);
>>> 424:   assert(is_power_of_2(size), "invariant: %zu", size);
>>
>> Please also use `SIZE_FORMAT` instead of `%zu` like in the overwhelming majority for formatting `size_t`.
>
> I actually prefer `%zu`. I can't seem to find whether it's permitted or not in HotSpot Coding Style though.

This was discussed some time ago (maybe only Oracle internal?).  So far as I can recall, everyone preferred using the 'z' qualifier and nobody liked the macro.  The only concern was backports, but that didn't seem to be a problem.  The consensus was to use it in new code and file an RFE for updating existing uses: