bug 6693236 fix

Keith McGuigan keith.mcguigan at oracle.com
Thu Jul 8 05:07:25 PDT 2010

David Holmes wrote:
> Rémi Forax said the following on 07/08/10 19:55:
>> Hi David,
>> I've no problem with the fact that the default configuration of jdk7
>> mandate to use of the split verifier.
>> But the patch for bug 6693236 also make FailOverOldVerifier command
>> line flag useless.
>>
>> I think it's an error. FailOverOldVerifier should "fail over the old
>> verifier" and not be silently ignored.
>
> For Java 7 you're not permitted to failover to the old verifier so the
> choices are to:
>
> a) silently ignore it
> b) ignore it but issue a warning
> c) refuse to start the VM
>
> I presume you would prefer (b) or (c)?

At startup time, the JVM doesn't know what kind of classfiles it's going
to load.  It doesn't get fed a steady diet of same-versioned classfiles.
  Failover is still an option for classfiles with classfile version 50.

So it's really not being ignored, it still enables failover for old
classfile versions.  Just not the new ones.

--
- Keith