JVM hangs beyond recovery

Stas Oskin stas.oskin at gmail.com
Sat Jun 19 02:27:34 PDT 2010

Hi.

One might try truss (or Linux's strace?) to
> trace calls into libdl interfaces to see who might be taking
> out the lock (or set a watchpoint on the lock?).

The biggest problem that this issue happens very rarely, i.e. once per week
at most.

AFAIK I can use strace -p to check the current situation, but I'm not sure
how useful this information would be - as the deadlock already happened.

Are you running a standard version of the kernel or a non-standard
> one? (not that we can help with that; but if it's some non-standard
> kernel, you might want to talk with the appropriate linux-kernel
> alias to help find the right tools; strace should begin to shed
> some light, I am thinking.)

I'm using the standard CentOS 5.4 kernel, the deadlock happened on various
versions.

The latest one (which I posted yesterday) was "2.6.18-164.9.1.el5xen", but
it happens on later non-xen versions as well.

Regards.