how to find out the types of the surviving objects after a GC

Tony Guan guanxiaohua at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 12:11:46 PDT 2010

Dear all,

We are now interested in the types of the surviving objects after a
GC.  Currently, I plan to do like this:

1. record the top() address of the old generation before a minor GC.
2. iterate oops in the increased portion(between the old top and the
new top) of the old generation
3. for each oop, find out what's the type of the object it stands for.

As I am studying the existing code from hotspot, I also realize that
this maybe a simple question for you:
Is there an easy way tell the types from the oop? Or will there be a
problem in my current plan?

Thanks as always!

Tony (Xiaohua Guan)