How to exercise the GC notification code in gcNotifier.cpp

John Cuthbertson john.cuthbertson at oracle.com
Thu Aug 4 15:12:27 PDT 2011

Hi Everyone,

After investigating an issue that was reported while running a fairly
substantial application, I believe I have found naked oop in the GC
notification code which I think is the cause of the problem The oop in
question is the muKlass oop in createGCInfo in gcNotifier.cpp. This code
is executed by the ServiceThread as part of the sendNotification routine
which pulls items from some request queue. The items on this queue seem
to be added as a result of GC end events being pushed by the
MemoryManagerService if the routine
GCMemoryManager::is_notification_enabled() returns true. This field is
set to true by the routine jmm_SetGCNotificationEnabled in
management.cpp. Can anyone tell me how I can explicitly exercise this
code? I have tried some things in jconsole and jvisualvm but have so far
been unsuccessful.

Thanks,

JohnC