How to exercise the GC notification code in gcNotifier.cpp

Krystal Mok rednaxelafx at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 18:41:44 PDT 2011

Hi John,

If you prefer JConsole for testing interactively, you can explicitly
subscribe/unsubscribe to a GarbageCollector notification, like this:
http://rednaxelafx.iteye.com/upload/picture/pic/96172/7ad699e0-c8aa-3cce-ad92-0f0226c98fd6.png
1. Select the MBeans tab, then select a java.lang.GarbageCollector
2. Click "Notifications" under the GarbageCollector
3. Click the "Subscribe" button on the bottom right
and then sun.management.GarbageCollectorImpl.addNotificationListener() will
be invoked, which in turn will set SetGCNotificationEnabled to
true. Unsubscribing is similar.

The notification code was added in this rev (or somewhere close...):
http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk7/hotspot/jdk/rev/5b38ed5f5eb4

Regards,
Kris Mok