7009975: Large file support broken in hs20-b04

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at oracle.com
Thu Jan 6 06:39:27 PST 2011

Karen Kinnear wrote:
> :
>
> I'd also be interested in your opinion as to whether we need to
> support the JVM_
> socket related calls on Windows. It isn't clear to us how "private"
> that interface is
> or whether customers are free to call the JVM_* APIs.
Sorry for the delay getting back to you on this.

To me knowledge, we've never documented the JVM_* functions and there
shouldn't be customers or applications using these functions to call
into the VM. In the libraries there isn't any reason for us to be using
the JVM_* socket functions on Windows so it doesn't matter if there is
an implementation or not. The dependency on the JVM_* socket functions
was removed from the Windows code back in jdk1.4. Once jdk8 opens for
business then we can remove the dependency from the Solaris/Linux code
too but we can't remove the sockets functions from HotSpot as they will
continue to be used when the VM is combined with older JDKs.

-Alan.