Request for review (S): 7099454 /bin/sh does not support syntax used in the src/os/posix/launcher/launcher.script shell script

Bengt Rutisson bengt.rutisson at oracle.com
Tue Oct 11 02:06:14 PDT 2011

Hi all,

Sending this review request to both Runtime and GC. I think the change
is Runtime responsibility, but I would like to submit it to hotspot-gc
since it is getting in the way of testing that I am doing at the moment.

The problem is that the hotspot script that the build process creates
has been updated to use /bin/sh instead of /bin/bash. This is more
correct since bash is optional. But the /bin/sh shell on Solaris does
not accept some of the syntax in the script.

In particular the $() notation is not supported by Solaris /bin/sh. The
script also contains the bash specific "source" command.

The fix is to change this to use `` and . respectively.

Webrev:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~brutisso/7099454/webrev.01/

CR:
7099454 /bin/sh does not support syntax used in the
src/os/posix/launcher/launcher.script shell script
http://monaco.us.oracle.com/detail.jsf?cr=7099454

Testing
Tested the new script on Linux (Ubuntu) and Solaris. Ran JPRT.