Diagnostic command fixes

Karen Kinnear karen.kinnear at oracle.com
Tue Feb 14 09:55:02 PST 2012

Thank you Nils :-)

I had a question on the DCmdArgument<NanoTimeArgument> - I think I am not reading
this correctly:

Couple of questions please:

1) What is this doing?
 if (idx == len) {
143
    // only accept missing unit if the value is 0
144
    if (_value._time != 0) {
145
      THROW_MSG(vmSymbols::java_lang_IllegalArgumentException(),
146
                "Integer parsing error nanotime value: unit required");
147
    } else {
148
      _value._nanotime = 0;
149
      strcpy(_value._unit, "ns");
150
      return;

I haven't seen the specification at this level of detail, but I thought that if
you entered a digit value with no units that you got ns by default - i.e. we need to
be able to parse units, but they are not required.

2) What does this comment mean:

// WARNING StringArrayArgument can only be used as an option, it cannot be
// used as an argument with the DCmdParser
... DCmdArgument<StringArrayArgument*>

-- what can't you do with it more specifically please? Do you mean you can't
pass it as an argument to parse_value?

3) diagnosticFramework.cpp: copyright 2012NAME -- oops

thanks,
Karen