Struct/value types + stack allocations

Vitaly Davidovich vitalyd at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 16:09:02 PST 2012

Hi,

I asked this question on hotspot-compiler dev mailing list (it was tied in
with an escape analysis question) but Vladimir Kozlov suggested I try this
group instead.  Copy/paste of my question:

Also, are there any plans to support struct/value-type like (ala CLR's
struct) constructs in the JVM (presumably java can then target it)? This
would allow developer to control where something gets allocated without
relying on EA, and it would also reduce the amount of indirection in object
graphs (and the mem/cpu performance hit of them) since struct members of a
heap allocated object could be allocated "inline".

Thanks

Sent from my phone