Struct/value types + stack allocations

Ismael Juma mlists at juma.me.uk
Wed Jan 18 13:52:09 PST 2012

Hi all,

Vitaly Davidovich <vitalyd at ...> writes:
> The reason I ask is because I think the achilles heal of java performance
> is the memory consumption (this is something you often hear in discussions
> about java performance).

Agreed. I've seen and written tons of code to workaround the fact that there are
no structs in the language. Examples of popular open-source projects that use
parallel arrays (with much worse cache locality) to avoid objects and their
memory overhead are many (Lucene, Mahout, fastutil, Trove, JGit, etc.).

Best,
Ismael