RFR(M): 8012182: Add information about class loading and unloading to event based tracing framework (hs24) - updated

Markus Grönlund markus.gronlund at oracle.com
Tue Apr 16 15:28:20 PDT 2013

Hi Karen,

Thanks for taking a look.

Inline.

Cheers

Markus

From: Karen Kinnear
Sent: den 16 april 2013 23:53
To: Markus Grönlund
Cc: HYPERLINK "mailto:hotspot-runtime-dev at openjdk.java.net"hotspot-runtime-dev at openjdk.java.net; HYPERLINK "mailto:serviceability-dev at openjdk.java.net"serviceability-dev at openjdk.java.net; HYPERLINK "mailto:hotspot-gc-dev at openjdk.java.net"hotspot-gc-dev at openjdk.java.net
Subject: Re: RFR(M): 8012182: Add information about class loading and unloading to event based tracing framework (hs24) - updated

Markus,

Looks good.

Minor comments:

1. systemDictionary.cpp

Does the post_class_load_event internal logic want to be #ifdef INCLUDE_TRACE/#endif

so it builds with embedded?

[MG]

We are trying to reduce the need for #if defs for "simple tracing events" - the more recent changes to the event definitions will allow a simple event definition to be left as is - for non-include_trace compiled code, empty event definitions should allow compilers to strip this out - this should work for embedded. The code that is still inside #include_trace is using some additional constructs that is not yet easily if def reduced.

2. tracestream.hpp

  print_val (both)

  - don't you need a ResourceMark rm to use as_C_string() and name_and_sig_as_C_string()?

[MG]

Yes I do. And they are a bit hard to find. They are part of the generated code machinery for events, so it's added in for events using the print_val() - there is also a top level HandleMark in there.

src/share/vm/trace/traceEventClasses.xsl - 130

thanks,

Karen

p.s. guess I didn't track this closely enough - I thought the class load event was already in hs24?

[MG]

It did not get all the way down to hs24. It became part of this change.