RFR(XS) : JDK-8013418 - assert(i == total_args_passed) in AdapterHandlerLibrary::get_adapter since 8-b87

Bharadwaj Yadavalli bharadwaj.yadavalli at oracle.com
Tue Apr 30 11:04:15 PDT 2013

Thanks for the review, David.

On 4/30/2013 2:12 AM, David Holmes wrote:
> On 30/04/2013 2:05 PM, Bharadwaj Yadavalli wrote:
>> Please review the changes that address the assertion failure. JDK 8
>> allows static public interface methods. Such methods should not be
>> considered as candidates for generation of synthetic code while parsing
>> classes that implement default methods.
>
> You mention static public, but your check is for static or private.

I have changed it to check only for static given that the VM needs to
support both public and private static interface methods.

Updated web rev at http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~bharadwaj/8013418/webrev/.

> So AFAICS there are actually two kinds of interface methods to be
> excluded from being considered miranda methods:
>
> a) static interface methods; otherwise
> b) private interface methods
>
> This all seems rather incidental though - why don't we simply mark
> methods as being miranda methods when they are created?

May be a good idea, but for a later time, I guess.

> Fix seems okay given it fixes present problem, but I worry that these
> new kinds of interface methods are going to cause other problems. :(

I believe with the changes that Karen is working on and this change
(plus those already in the repo), we should have covered the ground for
necessary interface method support.

Thanks,

Bharadwaj