RFR: 8020962: dump loaded java classes when vm crash

Coleen Phillimore coleen.phillimore at oracle.com
Mon Aug 12 14:43:46 PDT 2013

Yumin,

I don't think this change should be added to the JVM for the following
reasons.

1. Error handling should only contain safe actions.   We have concerns
that the SA is not that stable and would prevent getting a real core
file in many error situations.   You couldn't have tested all error
situations because these are usually the things we don't know about.
You also mention that there are currently bugs preventing this feature
from working in your first email.

2. I am not convinced that having a separate jar file with loaded
classes (is it a list that SA generates?) would be collected by an error
reporter.   If it's collected, I don't see how helpful it would be.
Also a customer may not want their classes disclosed in error reporting.

3.  This doesn't seem important enough to include as a new feature in
jdk8 release, which is feature-complete.   I don't see a customer
request for it.

Coleen