RFR (S): JDK-8020829: JT_HS: 2 runtime NMT tests fail on platforms if NMT detail is not supported

David Holmes david.holmes at oracle.com
Tue Aug 20 18:26:20 PDT 2013

Hi Chris,

On 21/08/2013 5:33 AM, Chris Plummer wrote:
> https://jbs.oracle.com/bugs/browse/JDK-8020829
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~cjplummer/8020829/webrev-03/
>
> On some platforms, NMT detail is not supported, and this was causing
> some jtreg tests to fail. These tests now query a new WhiteBox API to
> see if NMT detail is supported, and now behave properly if it is not
> supported.

Okay.

> I also fixed #ifdef INCLUDE_NMT in whitebox.cpp that should instead be
> #if INCLUDE_NMT. The source within the #if is now properly excluded from
> minimal VM builds.

Okay.

> The addition of Platform.isArm() is to support changes in closed source.

I hate seeing these kinds of methods. Add a new platform, add a new
method - yuck! :(

We could just use getOsArch().toLowerCase().startsWith("arm") directly.

I'd even prefer to see:

boolean isArch(String arch) {
   return osArch.toLowerCase().startsWith(arch.toLowerCase());
}

and similarly for the OS - but that is going beyond this fix :)