RFR (L) : 8014013 : CallInfo structure no longer accurately reports the result of a LinkResolver operation

Karen Kinnear karen.kinnear at oracle.com
Mon Aug 26 10:22:04 PDT 2013

David,

In general, I really like the cleanup - I like the CallInfo usage and the relying on the
linkResolver logic in a single location. These are all requests for improved comments,
except for the last one, which is of course a personal preference, so ok to check in without
changing.

couple of questions:
1. In init_method_MemberNames
The comment "interfaces are interconvertible" is no longer true with abstract methods.
The next sentence I believe is true, so perhaps you could delete the first one

2. In method.cpp in is_final_method
Could you please delete the comment lies 513-514
"Should return true for private methods also, since there is no way to override them?"

Yes, you do not override private methods. However, this call is used to determine if you
need a vtable entry. Private methods always get a vtable entry to handle backward compatibility
with classes - i.e. you can have the same name of a private method local to your class and also
inherit a method of from your superclass, which will get inherited around the private method, by
your child.

And yes, you can have an overpass method, which does not require a vtable entry,
so the "can this happen?" answer is yes - so you can remove the question.

4. klassVtable.cpp
lines 773-774
I'd like to understand better what this case represents?
Same question interpreterRuntime.cpp
CharSequence.toString - use vtable not itable (706-707)

5. linkResolver.hpp
  direct_call line 45, and _call_kind line 55:
     I think this includes both static and invokeSpecial calls - correct? so the "static" in the comment
   in 55 might want to be expanded

6. linkResolver.cpp
CallInfo::CallInfo:
  Why are _selected_klass and _selected_method set to resolved_klass and resolve_method?
  I thought the CallInfo contains the static linktime resolution information (resolved_method, resolved_klass
  which are passed in) and then also the receiver - but that the selected_klass and selected_method
  would be calculated later?

  - or are these set for when there is no receiver but replaced if there is one, i.e. a non-null placeholder?
   Isn't this more confusing than leaving as null and for instance in runtime_resolve_interface_method,
   not checking for sel_method.is_null() if !check_null_and_abstract?

thanks,
Karen