Compiler printf format checking

John Rose john.r.rose at oracle.com
Wed Dec 11 15:06:03 PST 2013

On Dec 11, 2013, at 2:41 PM, Dmitry Samersoff <dmitry.samersoff at oracle.com> wrote:

> we can just use %p on all platforms

That's clever.

I do think we need to use an off-the-shelf static analyzer for the format strings.  There is only a tiny amount of room to maneuver within the confines of the language of printf format strings.

There are probably several other fiddly details like this, such as "how do I format intptr_t" and "how do I format jlong" and maybe "how do I format an oop".  It may be possible to do some dodges like %p to get around those also.  (The [-+#] modifiers look tantalizing to me in this regard.)

— John