RFR 7162400: Intermittent java.io.IOException: Bad file number during HotSpotVirtualMachine.executeCommand

Christian Tornqvist christian.tornqvist at oracle.com
Tue Jul 9 06:49:02 PDT 2013

Hi Peter,

Looks good, thanks for fixing this.

Thanks,

Christian

From: hotspot-runtime-dev-bounces at openjdk.java.net
[mailto:hotspot-runtime-dev-bounces at openjdk.java.net] On Behalf Of Peter
Allwin
Sent: den 8 juli 2013 09:55
To: serviceability-dev at openjdk.java.net;
hotspot-runtime-dev at openjdk.java.net
Subject: RFR 7162400: Intermittent java.io.IOException: Bad file number
during HotSpotVirtualMachine.executeCommand

Hello!

Looking for reviews of this change:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~allwin/7162400/webrev.01/

For CR:

http://bugs.sun.com/view_bug.do?bug_id=7162400

https://jbs.oracle.com/bugs/browse/JDK-7162400

This change addresses an issue in the Attach API on Solaris, Linux and BSD
where an attaching application can receive IOExceptions such as "Bad file
number" (Solaris), "Connection refused" (Linux/BSD), or "well-known file is
not secure".

The attach process uses a file in the temporary directory as a door
(Solaris) or domain socket (Linux,BSD) to communicate with the VM. In
certain circumstances stale files can be left in the file system which can
cause the attaching application to believe that the VM is ready to receive a
connection when it's not. With this change the stale file will be removed
during VM startup.

Note that there is still an issue if we don't have permission to remove the
stale file, the attaching process will fail to connect.

Testing:

JPRT, reproducing script on Solaris, Linux.

Credits:

Thanks to Staffan Larsen who worked on this issue with me.

Regards,

Peter