RFR: 8019779 JDK 8 build failed due to hotspot crashed on Solaris 10u10 sparcv9/sparc with SS12u3 compiler

Lois Foltan lois.foltan at oracle.com
Wed Jul 24 09:20:35 PDT 2013

On 7/24/2013 11:37 AM, Vladimir Kozlov wrote:
> Lois,
>
> Usually such problems happened only with fastdebug build. You lowed
> optimization level for product and optimized builds. Did it also fail
> with these versions? Sorry, I can't see bug report.

Hi Vladimir,  thank you for your review.  The bug was originally
reported against a fastdebug build, however, I was also able to easily
reproduce the failure with the product build as well.  Thus the
necessity of making this change for fastdebug, optimized and product.

> Also you kept lower opt level for jvmtiClassFileReconstituter.o (\>=
> 510). Does it still have problem with SS12u3?

That is unknown, so I chose the safer route to continue to include the
optimization reduction for jvmtiClassFileReconstituter.o for SS12u3.
There also seemed to be some historical precedence within the make files
to use (\>=<compiler version #>)  for past compiler version #'s when
bumping up to a new compiler version. Certainly, if the C++ compiler
optimization bug that plagued jvmtiClassFileReconstituter.o is fixed,
then it can be easily be changed back to just reduced for 510.  However,
I don't know if we can make that assertion at this point.