RFR (M/L): 8010722 assert: failed: heap size is too big for compressed oops (possibly CR 8009778)

Thomas Schatzl thomas.schatzl at oracle.com
Tue Jun 4 08:17:58 PDT 2013

Hi all,

  please have a look at a slightly updated version of this CR after
comments from SQE and runtime.

Changes:
- moved the comment that explained the choice of a 100M default
ClassMetaSpaceSize to the declaration of this value
- changed the default size of ClassMetaSpaceSize to 128M as this is a
value that results in less automatic resizing due to alignment (on
request).
Runtime intends to change this code in the future so that the
ClassMetaSpaceSize is not dependent on java heap alignment any more (as
far as I understood).
- resolved a small merge conflict when updating to latest hotspot-gc:
ParallelScavengeHeap::intra_heap_alignment() needs to be a static method
to be used in a static context. This is not an issue here as it returns
a constant value anyway.
- added -XX:+UseParallelGC -XX:-UseParallelOldGC as gc combination to
test in the test case. This required some changes in passing down these
arguments to the tests themselves.

Testing:
jtreg tests, jprt

There is a small introduction on the change below.

Thanks,
Thomas