Enabling NMT but no automatic output

Thomas Schatzl thomas.schatzl at oracle.com
Thu Mar 7 01:30:43 PST 2013

Hi all,

  just recently I wanted to try out NMT by setting
-XX:NativeMemoryTracking=summary (detail gives the same result).

I found that just setting -XX:NativeMemoryTracking to something other
than off does not print any summary or detail at the end.

You have to additionally specify -XX:+PrintNMTStatistics to get some
output at the end of the run.

This seems odd to me, as I was expecting that when requesting NMT
summary (or detail) that there will be some output. I.e. collecting the
data but then throwing it away seems strange.

What do you think about to automatically enable PrintNMTStatistics when
NativeMemoryTracking is either detail or summary?

Thomas