Request for review: 8009595: The UseSplitVerifier option needs to be deprecated

Krystal Mo krystal.mo at oracle.com
Thu Mar 7 20:02:44 PST 2013

There has been a workaround for folks upgrading to JDK7 that involves
-XX:-UseSplitVerifier:
If they were using some older version of bytecode manipulation libraries
(e.g. AspectJ), then those libraries may generate class files without
stackmaps but tagged as version 51 (which is required to use the new
verifier).

That said, as a major release I believe it's okay to deprecate this flag
in JDK8.

Thanks,
Kris