Request for review (S): 8001049: VM crashes when running with large -Xms and not specifying ObjectAlignmentInBytes

Bengt Rutisson bengt.rutisson at oracle.com
Tue Mar 12 00:47:15 PDT 2013

Hi Jon,

On 3/11/13 4:45 PM, Jon Masamitsu wrote:

> On 03/11/13 07:34, Bengt Rutisson wrote:
>>
>> Hi Jon,
>>
>> On 3/8/13 8:05 PM, Jon Masamitsu wrote:
>>> Bengt,
>>>
>>> With your change the order is
>>>
>>> set_heap_size()
>>> set_ergonomics_flags()
>>>
>>> set_ergonomics_flags() can turn on UseCompressedOops.
>>> set_heap_size() uses UseCompressedOops
>>>
>>> Right?
>>>
>>> It might not be a problem today but it makes me nervous.
>>>
>>> Is there a real circularity there?  I don't know but if there is
>>> a way to exclude a circularity, then I won't have to think
>>> about it.
>>
>> Thanks for spotting this, Jon! There is definitely a circular
>> dependency between set_heap_size() and set_ergonomics_flags().
>>
>> I could not figure out a nice and clean way of breaking the circular
>> dependency. But the circular dependency actually originates from the
>> fact that set_heap_size() does the check that the original bug
>> reports as an issue. It reduces the max heap size if
>> UseCompressedOops is enabled. The problem is that _after_ that it
>> adjust the max heap size to be at least as large as the initial heap
>> size. This is why we crash.
>>
>> So, one way to fix this is to use the knowledge that the initial heap
>> size is the only thing in set_heap_size() that can increase the max
>> heap size beyond what UseCompressedOops will work with. Here is a
>> webrev for what that could look like:
>>
>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~brutisso/8001049/webrev.01/
>
> Did you intend to call set_use_compressed_oops() before
> set_heap_size() and set_ergonomics_flags()?  In the webrev
> the call to set_use_compressed_oops() is in
> set_ergonmonics_flags().

I left the call to set_use_compressed_oops() inside
set_ergonomics_flags() on purpose. This was both for minimizing the risk
of the change (everything is now done in the exact same order as before)
and for making sure that set_use_compressed_oops() has been called
before we start reading UseCompressedOops inside set_ergonomics_flags().

I am not completely happy with how this looks. It might be better to
move all of the compressed handling out of set_ergonomics_flags(), but
if it is all right with you I would like to avoid that at the moment.

>> I think there is another circular dependency already present in the
>> code. If you look at max_heap_for_compressed_oops() its
>> implementation uses ClassMetaspaceSize. But this value may be updated
>> a bit later in set_ergonomics_flags():
>>
>>     FLAG_SET_ERGO(uintx, ClassMetaspaceSize, 100*M);
>>
>> Is this a problem? It is not really related to my current change, but
>> if it is a problem we should probably file a bug for it.
>
> I'll file a bug for this.  Thanks.

Great, thanks!

Bengt