RFR(S): 8010190: os_windows missing winsock initialization

David Holmes david.holmes at oracle.com
Mon Mar 18 17:51:32 PDT 2013

Hi Nils,

You fix is fine as far as it goes but ...

... basically if we make changes as to how this code gets used we will
hit new failures until slowly we add an initialization check to all of
the methods. This is horribly ad-hoc. Worse there is a race condition (a
couple actually) in the initialization code which we are more likely to
hit now that we have more paths to this code.

Seems to me that the real fix for this code might be to ensure sockInit
is called during VM startup instead of lazily? Otherwise, as I said,
there's a bunch of race conditions that need fixing anyway.

Cheers,
David