RFR (XS) JDK-8010389 - After fix for 7107135 a failed dlopen() call results in a VM crash

Ioi Lam ioi.lam at oracle.com
Wed Mar 20 21:21:53 PDT 2013

Please review:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~iklam/8010389/dlopen_crash_001/
<http://cr.openjdk.java.net/%7Eiklam/8010389/dlopen_crash_001/>

Bug: After fix for 7107135 a failed dlopen() call results in a VM crash

https://jbs.oracle.com/bugs/browse/JDK-8010389

     (The bugs.sun.com page may be unavailable for a couple of days)

Summary of fix:

     Previously, if dlopen() fails inside the VM Thread, the Java thread
would
     call dlerror() to try to find out what happened, but would get a
NULL return
     instead. Attempts to use this NULL value causes the JVM to crash.

     The fix is to read dlerror() in the VM Thread when necessary.

To Christian:

     I integrated your test into jtreg, but I needed to write a shell
test to set
     the LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Is there a way to avoid the shell test?

Tests executed:

     * JPRT (linux only)
     * UTE (vm.quick.testlist)
     * JTREG