RFR(M): 8028128: Add a type safe alternative for working with counter based data

Markus Gronlund markus.gronlund at oracle.com
Tue Nov 12 07:34:28 PST 2013

Hi Vitaly,

Thanks for you input!

"You have some operator overloads for these that can compare them against jlongs - doesn't that still make it easy to mix up what you're comparing? Personally, since these are value types I'd make their API work only against these new types and make caller create the right type for comparison."

Thanks for spotting these - the compare against jlongs in from an older version of the webrev where this was allowed - you are right, it should not be allowed, I thought I had updated this, will remove them - many thanks for spotting.

As for the names,

"Ticks and Tickspan don't seem too optimal of names.  What about TimeInstance and TimeSpan?"

I agree with you that the names could possibly be improved, believe me I have tried to use multiple names - one thing I wanted was to emphasize that these types (currently) are only based on counter's (i.e ticks), and do not represent any higher "time" abstraction. That is, the implementation is tied to data from counters (based on ticks with a specific ticks frequency). In my current context, I use these values to talk about "time" (as you saw from the original post), but "time" can mean many things to different people, esp. many implementations and clock sources.

Also, there already exist a few "Time/Timer" types (although they are not as good as I want them to be for current purposes), for example there is a type called Timestamp (in runtime/timers.hpp).

I have come to the conclusion that in order to address the overall time abstractions in Hotspot, we would need to make a larger effort - this we should indeed do, but it's outside the current scope.

Also I am pretty sure that when we do revisit the time abstractions, the names for these types will most likely change - that made me leave the names to emphasize the "ticks" sources.

Thanks for your input.

Best regards

Markus

Ticks and Tickspan don't seem too optimal of names.  What about TimeInstance and TimeSpan?

You have some operator overloads for these that can compare them against jlongs - doesn't that still make it easy to mix up what you're comparing? Personally, since these are value types I'd make their API work only against these new types and make caller create the right type for comparison.

Just my $.02, feel free to ignore :).

Thanks

Sent from my phone