Fwd: Better default for ParallelGCThreads and ConcGCThreads by using number of physical cores and CPU mask.

Jon Masamitsu jon.masamitsu at oracle.com
Mon Nov 25 08:47:24 PST 2013

Looping in hotspot-gc-dev to the discussion.

David Holmes raised the question of this enhancement only
being implemented (in effect) and tested on linux systems.
The contributor works in a linux shop.  What should we
require for an enhancement?   At Oracle we try hard to
implement uniformly on all platforms.  No we don't always
succeed but we have it on our minds.  We have a potential
contribution that has shown benefit on a wide variety of
applications in linux environment so we are considering it.

There is no guarantee that the GC team here has
the time to  fill out the implementation on other platforms.
I would hate to think that that would block a good
enhancement but, as I said, we like to have uniform support
on all platforms if possible.

I really don't know where this is going.  I know we're
not going to make all of the people happy all of the time,
but if you want to say something about this, please do.

Thanks.

Jon