Access Checking for MethodHandles.Lookup broken?

John Rose john.r.rose at oracle.com
Mon Nov 25 18:03:40 PST 2013

On Nov 24, 2013, at 2:08 AM, Sebastian Sickelmann <sebastian.sickelmann at gmx.de> wrote:

> I am sorry. Due to a configuration failure in my IDE had run with 1.7.0_16
>
> Checked this again with 1.7.0_45 and 1.8.0-ea-b109 and everything is fine.
>
> Sorry for the mailing-list noise.

If a MethodHandles.Lookup call allows more access to a method than its corresponding bytecode behavior, that is definitely a bug.

Recent updates to the javadoc for Lookup (in JDK 8) emphasize this correspondence principle strongly.  If it breaks, we want to know about it.

Thanks for the report and the double-check.

— John