code review round 0 for Full Debug Symbols on MacOS X hotspot (7165611)

Daniel D. Daugherty daniel.daugherty at oracle.com
Fri Sep 20 20:36:46 PDT 2013

Greetings,

I have the initial support for Full Debug Symbols (FDS) on MacOS X done
and ready for review:

     7165611 implement Full Debug Symbols on MacOS X hotspot

Here is the JDK8/HSX-25 webrev URL:

OpenJDK:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~dcubed/fds_revamp/7165611-webrev/0-jdk8/
Internal:
http://javaweb.us.oracle.com/~ddaugher/fds_revamp/7165611-webrev/0-jdk8/

This webrev includes changes for the follow repos:

     jdk8
     jdk8/hotspot
     jdk8/jdk
     jdk8/jdk/make/closed

Once these changes are approved, I'm planning to push them to
RT_Baseline. From there, they can follow the normal path to
Main_Baseline and eventually JDK8.

This work enables FDS on MacOS X for the 'hotspot' repo; the changes in
the other repos are necessary to support importing the .diz files from
the MacOS X 'hotspot' build into the forest build. I also fixed a few
FDS related errors in the magic incantations for the new build. This is
mostly a port from Linux -> MacOS X/BSD with the dtrace changes ported
from Solaris. In other words, this is Frankenstein's monster...

Thanks to Staffan Larsen for providing an initial set of changes
which I morphed into what you see here.

Testing:
- JPRT HSX build and test on all platforms; verification of .diz
   files in the MacOS X JPRT bundles
- JPRT JDK8 forest build and test on all platforms; verification of
   .diz files in the MacOS X JPRT bundles
   Note: In previous FDS changesets, I also did a standalone 'jdk'
   repo build and test, but that no longer seems to work.

As always, comments, questions and suggestions are welcome.

Dan